re you pregnant and looking to maintain your health for the next 9 months OR are you looking for an alternative to help with whatever is bothering you during your pregnancy?
Have you thought about acupuncture?
Treatment of women in pregnancy and labour has a long tradition in China with many pictures found on tortoise shells depicting some pregnancy and labour related problems. The first surviving text dedicated entirely to obstetrics in China is The Treasure of Obstetrics by Jing Xiao Chan Bao, written during the Tang Dynasty (618-907 AD) ,followed by formal medical training hospitals including dedicated obstetric departments. Currently, Acupuncture in many modern studies is proving to be a worthy way of treating the issues that can occur during pregnancy. The thoughts in TCM is that during pregnancy, it is important to keep the qi (energy flow) and blood in harmony.In modern terms this means it helps normalize the body’s internal biological balance which then helps to ensure a healthy problem free pregnancy.
So, in short the treatment plans are generally designed to restore the female’s balance which strengthens and helps her combat any negative effects they may be experiencing in pregnancy including, but not limited to, depression,morning sickness, dizziness and headaches (See list below).
What are the benefits of having Acupuncture while you are pregnant ?
- It is a natural form of medicine that can be used for most reasons in pregnancy.
- It provides a safe and therapeutic health system to assist a mother and baby throughout the whole of her pregnancy.
- It can help resolve lots of different health issues (see below for the list).
- It brings about a greater sense of wellbeing, comfort, better sleep and a noticeable reduction of stress levels.
- From a health maintenance point of view, acupuncture can help the fetus develop harmoniously by supporting the mother’s health and metabolism while helping to improve the woman’s immune functions.
- For the woman who is entering pregnancy with health related issues whether it be a history of depression,recurrent miscarriage, auto immune issues or otherwise, Acupunctureand/herbs are a serious and often proven alternative and they can be integrated as part of their overall medical care.
- Most importantly it can help to reduce the need for chemical intervention which is a serious factor for most women and their medical team who always place safety at the heart every pregnancy care plan.
- Acupuncture during pregnancy has been proven to help with major depressive disorder. (http://med.stanford.edu/ism/2010/february/acupuncture.html)
- Research has shown that for women with a history of recurrent miscarrige, regular monitering and stress reduction treatment in the first 12 weeks increased live birth rates. 86% of women in the treatment group, compared to 33% for women that did not receive treatment. (Aust NZ J Obstet Gynecol 1991:31:4:3210)
Here is a list of what acupuncture can help with while pregnant;
- Reduces the chance of miscarriage
- Boosts immunity
- Drug free choice for problems such as sinusitis, coughs, colds etc
- Proven alternative for depression in pregnancy
- Improves energy and quality of sleep
- Balances your emotions
- Eases if not stops morning sickness
- Can resolve constipation
- Eases water retention
- Helps with headaches
- Small for dates babies
- Back and pelvic pain
- Labour induction from 40 plus 1 day term.
- Breech presentation, and it helps preparation of the cervix and is proven to shorten labour time in particular first time mothers
It is essential for any pregnant woman to verify that her practitioner is well educated. By choosing a registered Acupuncturist from the Acupuncture Council of Ireland the woman will have assurance that she will be treated in a gentle, safe and professional manner.
Written by Suzanne Cafferky